Upwey (formerly Broadwey) railway station
was a station on the Abbotsbury branch railway
in the county of Dorset
. It was opened with the branch line in 1885 as Broadway, renamed Broadwey in 1896 then the name was changed to Upwey in 1913, to avoid confusion with Broadway
in Worcestershire. Although it had a passenger platform it mainly functioned as a goods depot as the location of Upwey Junction
on an embankment made access difficult. When the branch closed to passengers in 1952 the station continued on as a goods depot until the early 1960s, served by a stub from what is now the South Western Main Line
A typical William Clarke stone building served the single platform, although the station also had a loop for goods.
The Site Today
The site of the station is now a builders yard with the station building and goods shed still in place.
Shows the relationship to the current Upwey station.
- R.V.J.Butt, (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations. Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 1 85260 508 1
- J.H. Lucking , Railways of Dorset. Railway Correspondence and Travel Society 1968. ISBN(no ISBN)
- Brian L. Jackson The Abbotsbury Branch. Wild Swan Publications Ltd. 1989. ISBN 0 906867 80 0