- "Upton Grammar School" redirects here. For the school in Merseyside see Upton Hall School FCJ.
Slough Grammar School (Language College) is a fully selective Foundation school in Lascelles Road, Slough (originally Buckinghamshire but now Berkshire), and since September 2002 formally named Slough Grammar School (Language College).
The school is a Language College, a Leading Edge School, an ICT-Focus School, a Training School, an International School (under the International Baccalaureate Organization (IBO)) and a participant in the Primary Language Initiative. It has been awarded the additional status of Science College in December 2006. From September 2004 it has offered some International Baccalaureate courses alongside its conventional secondary and sixth form courses. The school's motto, ad astra, has been used since its inception.
The current principal is Mrs Margaret Lenton, who joined as head of a predecessor school (Upton Grammar) in 1988.
Slough Secondary School (1912 – 1936)
Slough Secondary School was the name of the first major selective secondary school in Slough (originally Buckinghamshire but now Berkshire). It was founded in 1912 in William Street, in the town centre. By 1936, the School had outgrown its premises and was split into Slough Grammar School for boys (1936–1982) in Lascelles Road and Slough High School for girls (1936–1982) in Twinches Lane, although the girls stayed on in the William Street buildings until 1939 when their new buildings were ready.
The original Slough Secondary School buildings in William Street were replaced in the 1960s by the tower blocks of Slough College. This site is now the Slough Campus of Thames Valley University.
- Mr W. Francis Smith, BA (1912 – 1925)
- Mr Ben Llewellyn (Acting) (1923 – 1925)
- Mr Edward Rudland Clarke, MC, MA (Cantab), FRGS (1925 – 1936) and continued with Slough Grammar School for Boys until 1952
Slough Grammar School for Boys (1936 – 1982)
Slough Grammar School for Boys
was a boys selective grammar school in Slough, It was created when the predecessor school, Slough Secondary School
, split into separate Boys and Girls schools in 1936. It moved into purpose-built premises at Lascelles Road, which are still used by the current school.
- Mr Edward Rudland Clarke, MC, MA (Cantab), FRGS (1936–1952) having started with Slough Secondary School in 1925
- Mr Tom Anderson (Acting) (-1952)
- Dr Wilfred Robert Victor Long, BA, PhD (1952–1966)
- Mr Gerald H Painter, MSc (1966–1982) and continued with Upton Grammar School until 1988
Slough High School (1936 – 1982)
Slough High School
was a girls selective secondary school in Slough, Buckinghamshire, now Berkshire. It was formed in 1936 from the split of Slough Secondary School
(1912–1936) into Slough Grammar School for boys
(1936–1982) and Slough High School for girls
For the first three years of its existence, it occupied the former Slough Secondary School buildings in William Street, but, in 1939, it moved to new buildings in Twinches Lane, Cippenham.
In 1982, when the Twinches Lane site was sold for redevelopment, Slough Grammar School and Slough High School merged to form Upton Grammar School (1982 – 1993), which became today's Slough Grammar School (Language College).
- Miss JM Crawford, MA (1936 – 1962)
- Miss Gwynneth Owen (1962 – 1978)
- Miss Pamela A. Reakes (1978 – 1982)
Upton Grammar School (1982 – 1993)
Upton Grammar School
in Lascelles Road, Slough
, was formed in 1982 by the remerger of Slough Grammar School for boys
(1936 – 1982) and Slough High School for girls
(1936 – 1982), when the High School's Twinches Lane site was sold for redevelopment. The combined school was renamed Upton Grammar School
to underline the merger of two equals. Slough Grammar and Slough High had both been formed in 1936 from the split of Slough Secondary School
In 1993, Upton Grammar School was renamed back to Slough Grammar School, and, in 2003, was formally named Slough Grammar School (Language College).
- Mr Gerald H Painter, MSc, (1982 – 1988) having started as Headmaster of Slough Grammar School for Boys in 1966
- Mrs MA Lenton, BA, FRSA (1988 – 1993) and continues as Principal of Slough Grammar School (Language College)
See also Old Paludians
Slough Grammar is known as a multicultural school that has achieved a remarkably happy coexistence of students from diverse ethnic backgrounds (Good School Guide 2006/Ofsted). The school is committed to its international school status, and to the understanding of other cultures as well as other languages. The recent OFSTED inspection report (2004) describes Slough Grammar as "overall a very good school"
, and the school was placed on the Ofsted list of "Particularly Successful Schools" - 2005
It was placed second in the Slough area based on results from the 2006 GCSE exams. The IB courses offered put it into a different category for the 6th form and one should be aware of this when viewing league tables. The IB results were strong in 2006 and this has had a slight knock on effect in reducing the overall grade spread at A level.