Unstone railway station
was a station
It was built by the Midland Railway in 1870 on what is known to railwaymen as the "New Road" to Sheffield. This bypassed the North Midland Railway's original line, which had avoided Sheffield due to the gradients involved, and came to be known as the "Old Road".
Originally called Unston until 1908, when the "e" was added. It had timber buildings without canopies. It closed to passengers in 1951, finally closing for goods services in 1961.
From Unstone the line continued the long 1 in 100 climb to Dronfield
- Pixton, B., (2000) North Midland: Portrait of a Famous Route, Cheltenham: Runpast Publishing