Univision Music Group
is the #1 Latin music
company in the U.S.
with approximately 45% market share
. Founded in April 2001 with a vision of releasing and marketing the best of every genre of Latin music, the Univision Music Group now includes three record labels
: Univision Records, Fonovisa Records
and Disa Records
. In June 2001, Univision Music acquired a 50% interest in Mexico
-based Disa Records, the second largest independent Spanish language
record label in the world, and Mexico's leading independent label
. More recently in April 2002 Univision acquired Fonovisa, the largest Latin independent label specializing in Regional Mexican music
Univision Music Group also has an extensive and growing publishing business as well as an exclusive distribution and licensing agreement with Universal Music & Video Distribution for several of its labels in the U.S., Puerto Rico and Mexico.
Launched mid 2001
, Univision Records already has an impressive artist roster comprised of Pilar Montenegro
, Jennifer Peña
, Graciela Beltrán, Iman, Los Forasteros, Daniel René
and most recently Mexican Ranchero music
icon, Pepe Aguilar
Acquired in 2002
is the largest Regional Mexican label in the music industry and since 1986 has launched major Latin stars into international markets and mainstream America.
is the second largest Regional-Mexican label after Fonovisa. It was owned by the Chávez family of Monterrey
until June of 2001, when Univision acquired 50% of Disa from the Chávez family. In November 2006 Univision acquired the other 50% of the label making it a subsidiary of Univision Music Group.
- Disa represents over 50 artists, many of which are household names in Spanish-language music, including Palomo, Los Angeles Azules, Grupo Bryndis, Liberación, El Poder del Norte, and most recently, renowned Mexican actress and singer, Aracely Arámbula.
Univision Music prides itself in launching artists whose work has set and broken records on radio
and sales charts, and whose talent has set them among the high ranks of Latin Music. Univision Music is also at the vanguard of identifying and developing new artists and new music genres, which is evidenced by its leading role and commitment to the unparalleled success of the Urban Regional movement, spearheaded by Platinum
-recording and Grammy
-nominated Latin Hip Hop
- In the second quarter of 2004, Univision Music Group recording labels held the #1 position in the U.S. Latin music industry with an estimated 45% market 10.
- Univision Music Group recording labels consistently averaged 5 of the top 10 best-selling albums on Billboard Magazine's weekly Latin charts in 2004.
- Univision Music labels accounted for approximately half of the regional Mexican music sold in the U.S. in the first half of 2004.
- In the first two quarters of 2004, Univision Music recording artists Jennifer Peña, Los Temerarios, Los Tigres del Norte, and Marco Antonio Solís topped Billboard's music charts debuting at #1 in SoundScan sales.
- By the second quarter of 2004 several UMG artists, including include Marco Antonio Solís, Los Temerarios, Los Tigres del Norte, Conjunto Primavera, Jennifer Peña, Akwid, Jae-P, and Adán "Chalino" Sánchez, garnered Gold and Platinum status for sales ranging from 100,000 to one million units.