The University of Mostar (Sveučilište u Mostaru; Latin: Universitas Studiorum Mostariensis) is the only Croatian language university in Bosnia and Herzegovina at this time. It grew out of "Džemal Bijedić" University in Mostar which was founded in 1977, but as a Croatian language university it also sees the Franciscan Theological School founded in 1895 and closed in 1945 as a start of higher education in Mostar. The University seal shows the building of the Franciscan Monastery.
In the beginning of the academic year 1992/93 the name and the official language were changed to the present University of Mostar. During the academic year of 1994/95 "Džemal Bijedić" University started work in the east part of Mostar stating Bosnian as the official language. Both universities have claimed to be legal successors of the former university campus, but since it was situated in the west part of Mostar which was Croat-controlled during the Croatian-Bosniak conflict, the campus is now used by the University of Mostar. "Džemal Bijedić" University now maintains a campus in the east part of Mostar. The higher education reform and the signing of the Bologna declaration have forced both universities to put aside their differences to some extent and work to make themselves competitive on a regional level.
The University organized the Constitutional-law position of Croats in Bosnia and Herzegovina Conference in Neum, in late October 2005.