This article lists political parties in Austria
. Austria has a multi-party
system. Of the over 700 registered parties, only few are known to a larger public; since the 1980s
, four parties have consistently received enough votes to get seats in the national parliament.
Current parties in parliament
- Alliance for the Future of Austria (Bündnis Zukunft Österreich) (BZÖ) - led by Jörg Haider, the BZÖ is a far-right, populist party which broke away from the Freedom Party. It participated in the government until 1/2007.
- Freedom Party of Austria (Freiheitliche Partei Österreichs) (FPÖ) - populist party considered by its critics to be a far-right party. After the 1999 elections, it joined the government but has since lost the support it gained in those elections.
- The Greens – The Green Alternative (Die Grünen – Die Grüne Alternative) (Grüne) - environmentalist party which is represented on national level.
- Liberal Forum (Liberales Forum) (LiF) - a liberal party which broke away from the Freedom Party, it had since lost all seats on a national level; in 2006, it entered an electoral alliance with the SPÖ and got their chairman, Alexander Zach, into parliament this way.
- Austrian People's Party (Österreichische Volkspartei) (ÖVP) - more traditional conservative party, the post-war heir of the Christian Social Party. It has alternated in power post-war with the Social Democratic Party. Since 1/2007 it is in coalition with the SPÖ.
- Social Democratic Party of Austria (Sozialdemokratische Partei Österreichs) (SPÖ) - traditional social-democratic party, alternating in power post-war with the People's Party. Since 1/2007 it is in coalition with the ÖVP.
Current parties formerly in parliament
- Communist Party of Austria (Kommunistische Partei Österreichs) (KPÖ) - once a relatively significant force in national and provincial level, it declined markedly after the 1950s. However, in 2005 it returned to the provincial legislature in Styria for the first time since 1970.
Current minor parties
Minor historical contemporary parties
Major historical parties
Minor historical parties
External links of some other minor parties
- Müller, Wolfgang; and Franz Fallend (2004). "Changing Patterns of Party Competition in Austria: From Multipolar to Bipolar System". West European Politics 27 (5): 801–835.