Umeå University (Umeå universitet) is a university in Umeå in the Midnorth of Sweden. The university was founded in 1965 and is the 5th oldest within Sweden's present borders.
During the seventies the university became known as the "red university" due to a large number of student strikes and a large share of left-wing politically active students. Since then conditions have normalised and Umeå University now has about 28,000 students, including master and Ph.D. candidates. There are a little less than 4000 employees, including 256 professors.
Internationally, the university is known for research relating to the genome of the Populus tree (Life sciences), contributions to the Gleason problem and function spaces on fractals (mathematics) and its school of industrial design which gives degree programs in English open to students from all of the world. It is also the biggest provider of distance education courses in the Nordic countries.
Umeå University has five faculties and six campus schools, with additional campuses in the cities of Skellefteå and Örnsköldsvik. The total number of students enlisted to some of the 50 different study programs and 800 separate courses exceeds 28,000.
The University today has five faculties, listed below in alphabetic order:
- Faculty of Arts
- Faculty of Medicine
- Faculty of Teacher Education
- Faculty of Science and Technology
- Faculty of Social Sciences
Umeå University has six Campus Schools, listed below in alphabetic order:
- Academy of Fine Arts, was started in 1987 in a former factory next to the Umeälven river. Every year 12 new students are accepted to the school. A total of 60 people are studying at the Academy.
- Umeå School of Environmental studies
- Umeå University School of Restaurant and Culinary Arts
- Umeå School of Business, aka: USBE, is one of Sweden's four EQUIS accredited business schools, about 2000 students currently studies at USBE. The School offers four Bachelor programs, seven Master's degrees programs, EMBA-Prague program and doctoral programs. The International atmosphere is important to the school and offers one Bachelor program (International Business program), all Master's programs, and all doctoral programs entirely in English.
- Umeå Institute of Technology, part of the Faculty of Science and Technology at Umeå University. The Institute offers a wide range of study programmes, some of them not to be found in any other part of Sweden. Research in engineering is gradually being expanded. The faculty's traditionally strong position in natural sciences form a base on which new technology research is built. The Institute is a member of CDIO.
- Umeå Institute of Design, is a college within the Faculty of Science and Technology at Umeå University. The Institute opened in 1989 and is designed and equipped solely for the teaching of industrial design. The Umeå Institute of Design is known around the world for its high academic standards. It's the only Swedish school on Businessweek`s top 60 list of design school in the world.
- Center for Disability Research
- Center for Biomedical Engineering and Physics
- Center for Educational Technology (CUT)
- Center for Environmental Research (CMF)
- Center for Evaluation Research (UCER)
- Center for Fish and Wildlife Research (CFW)
- Center for Population Studies (CBS)
- Center for Principal Development
- Center for Regional Science (Cerum)
- Center for Sami Research (Cesam)
- Center for Teaching and Learning (UPC)
- Center for Values Education (VGC) (at June 30, 2005, the unit was dissolved)
- Center for the Studies of Science and Values
- High Performance Computing Center North (HPC2N)
- Umeå Center for Interaction Technology (UCIT)
- Umeå Center for Functional Brain Imaging(UFBI)
- Umeå Center for Molecular Medicine (UCMM)
- Umeå Center for Molecular Pathogenes (UCMP)
- Umeå Life Science Center - ULSC
- Umeå Marine Sciences Center (UMF)
- Umeå Plant Science Center (UPSC)
- Universitetspedagogiskt centrum (UPC)
- Demografic Data Base (DDB)
- Center for Women's Studies
- Transportation Research (Trum)
- Umeå School of Environmental Studies
- Umeå Transgene Core Facility (UTCF)
- Intelligent Vehicles for Off-Road - IFOR
Norrlands University Hospital
- Norrland's University Hospital, is the main hospital and research center for medical care and medicine in northern Sweden. It's one of five schools for medicine and dental medicine in Sweden.
- Ibrahim Baylan,MP of Swedish parliament; Former Minister of Education, Sweden
- Linus Berg, founder and CEO of "Rest & Fly", a hotel at Stockholm international airport (Arlanda)
- Frida Berglund, founder of the popular blogg "Husmusen"
- Professor Tomas Blomquist, Professor in management and co-writer in HBR
- Göran Carstedt, former President IKEA USA, and CEO Volvo France
- Birgitta Egerbladh
- Sigbritt Franke, Swedish University Chancellor
- Wilhelm Geijer, former CEO of Öhrlings PricewaterhouseCoopers, Boarde member of Öhrlings PricewaterhouseCoopers
- Liesel Holler, former Miss Peru
- Pål Hollender, artist
- Henrik P. Molin, Author
- Frida Östberg
- Anna Sjödin, Leader of the Swedish Social Democratic Youth League , Sweden
- Malin Mostroem, Swedish women footballer, nominated best in Sweden and in the world.
- Mattias Sjödin,
- Michal Antkowiak,
- Tomas Blomqvist, professor in management
- Jan Bodin, professor in marketing
- Lars Lindbargh, Dean at USBE
- Agneta Marell, former Dean at USBE
- Stellan Nilsson, professor in Financial Accounting, Auditing and Financial Analysis
- Karl- Gustaf Löfgren, professor in Economics, member of Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences
- Mike stott
- Håkan Wiberg
- Claes-Christian Elert
- Karl- Gustav Löfgren, member of Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences
- Gunnar Eriksson
- Henrik Grönberg
- Ronny Ambjörnsson
- Jan Bodin
- Lennart Stenflo, professor of Physics