Ultima Underworld II: Labyrinth of Worlds, developed by Looking Glass Technologies and published by Origin Systems in 1993, is a computer game, and the sequel to Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss. It is part of the Ultima series. It was well-rated.
A patch is available allowing Underworld 1 and Underworld 2 to be played on Windows NT, Windows 2000, and Windows XP.
The engine was slightly enhanced to support digital sound effects, a larger 3D viewing area, and featured new levels and content continuing the plotline of Ultima VII, the main series Ultima game released in 1992; it takes place between parts one and two of Ultima VII. The storyline is more connected to the main series than that of the first Underworld game.
One year after the Black Gate incident, the Avatar is invited to a feast at Lord British
's castle to celebrate a year of rebuilding in Britannia. In the early morning afterwards, a great dome of blackrock crystal forms over the castle; everyone within, including the Avatar, is trapped. The blackrock was created by Mayor Patterson, on behalf of the Guardian
, who intends to invade Britannia, now cut off from its greatest defenders. Searching down through the sewers under the castle, a smaller crystal, a 'reverberation' created by the sheer power of the Guardian's spell, is discovered. The Avatar has to use this crystal to travel to other worlds under the Guardian's control in order to free the castle from the spell. These world include:
- The "Prison Tower" - Situated on Fyrna, a world ruled by goblins.
- Killorn Keep - A fortress floating in the sky, situated on a parallel universe opposite to Britannia, called Atarka.
- The Ice Caves of Anodunos - A frozen world littered with the remnants of a civilization destroyed by the Guardian.
- The World of Talorus - An alien world populated by the enigmatic taloroids and the servile vorz.
- The Scintillus Academy - A mage school, devastated by the Guardian.
- The Pits of Carnage - A prison and dueling arena where the Guardian deposits his foes.
- The Tomb of Praecor Loth - A tomb of the king of the world of Rhiannon. He was killed in a war with the Guardian.
- The Ethereal Void - A strange dreamworld with floating glowing paths and teleports.