The airline was established in August 1936 as DETA Direcção de Exploração de Transportes Aéreos, as a division of the Department of Railways, Harbours and Airways of the Portuguese colonial government of Mozambique. It started operations on 22 December 1937. Early in 1980, by Decree 8/80 of 19 November 1980, DETA was restructured and renamed LAM.
A Limited Company incorporated by statute in Mozambique was formed in the last part of 1999. The Board of Directors is made up by the Chairman, Eng. José Viegas, Capitain João Abreu, LAM's Director of Operations, Dr. Jeremias Tchamo, the Financial Director of LAM, Mr. Armindo Matos the State of Mozambique's representative and Drº Afonso Sande the Workers Representative.
Longhaul flights were initially operated with 707 or DC-8 equipment, then a DC-10 leased from UTA French Airlines during which time a Government IL-62M was sometimes used for additional capacity. The early 1990s were the peak of expansion with the DC-10 flying twice weekly to Lisbon (sometimes via Madrid) as well as one weekly flight routed Maputo-Paris CDG-Copenhagen-East Berlin, mainly to shuttle guest construction workers. For many years, the Lisbon flights would then operate a sector for TACV to Sal Island before returning to Maputo. After the DC-10 lease was terminated, Lisbon flights were operated with a South African Airways 747SP before a pair of 767-200's was secured. However, 767 services were short lived with management deciding to concentrate on regional routes and these aircraft spent most of their time leased to SAA.
|Beech King Air 200||1|
|Boeing 737-200||4||114 (16/88)||Short and Medium haul||Domestic, Kenya, South Africa, Tanzania and Zimbabwe|
|Boeing 767-200ER||1||which is leased to Aeroméxico|
|Casa C-212-200 Aviocar||2|
|Embraer EMB 120 Brasilia||1|
|Total Number of Aircraft||10||Updated: August 2008|