|Launched:||21 February 1914|
|Commissioned:||26 April 1914|
|Decommissioned:||6 February 1946|
|Fate:||Sold for mercantile service, renamed Fermina, 23 August 1947|
|Length:||226 ft 2 in|
|Beam:||40 ft 10 1/2 in|
|Draught:||12 ft 6 1/2 in|
|Complement:||171 officers and enlisted|
|Armament:||3 4", 2 3-pdrs., 2 1-pdrs.|
Sacramento was launched on 21 February 1914 by the William Cramp & Sons Shipbuilding Company, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; sponsored by Miss Phebe Briggs; and commissioned on 26 April 1914 at the Philadelphia Navy Yard, Comdr. Luke McNamee in command.
Departing New Orleans on 15 April, Sacramento proceeded to Newport, Rhode Island, to commence patrol and escort duty off the New England coast. She rescued the crew of the burning British motor ship Sebastian on 8 May and vainly attempted to tow her to Newport, receiving commendation from the British government for her efforts. In late June, she took part in refloating the grounded cruiser Olympia.
Assigned to European waters, Sacramento departed New York on 22 July 1917 in company with a British mercantile convoy bound for Gibraltar, arriving on 6 August. As a unit of the United States Patrol Force based at Gibraltar, she performed continuous convoy escort duty to the British Isles with additional service along the North African and Italian coasts into 1918. Following the Armistice, Sacramento was ordered back to the United States. She departed Gibraltar on 11 December 1918 for New Orleans.
She sailed first to Mare Island, California, then joined the Special Service Squadron and cruised the Caribbean, calling at Central American and West Indies ports, into 1932. She departed Balboa, Canal Zone, on 11 January 1932 bound for San Diego and San Francisco, preparatory to crossing the Pacific for duty with the Asiatic Fleet. She arrived at Shanghai, China, on 1 April 1932 and remained in adjacent waters throughout the gradually worsening crisis, just short of war, during the rest of the 30's. With other U.S. forces, she helped to protect national interests during this period. Ordered home toward the end of the decade, the veteran gunboat departed Cavite on 12 January 1939 for New York, via the Mediterranean. She earned the nickname "the Galloping Ghost of the China Coast."
Sacramento served as a training ship for 9th Naval District Reservists, on the Great Lakes, from 20 November 1939 into 1940. Returning to the Boston Navy Yard for refitting, she subsequently departed the Norfolk Navy Yard en route to her next assignment in the Hawaiian Islands.
Sacramento patrolled the Hawaiian Sea Frontier out of Pearl Harbor until 27 September 1942 when she commenced service as a tender for Torpedo Boat Unit 6, Division 2, of MTBRon 1, at Palmyra Island, south of Hawaii; with additional duty as air-sea rescue vessel for the Naval Air Station. She departed Palmyra on 25 November 1942 for San Diego and duty with the Western Sea Frontier patrol force. There she trained gun crews from December of that year to March 1945. Based at San Francisco thereafter, Sacramento operated on weather patrol and plane guard station for the remainder of World War II.
Sacramento was decommissioned on 6 February 1946 at Suisun Bay, California, and simultaneously transferred to the War Shipping Administration for disposal. She was sold on 23 August 1947 for mercantile service, initially operating under Italian registry as Fermina.