After shakedown along the east coast, Meade was assigned to duty with the Pacific Fleet. During more than the next 2 years she operated out of west coast ports including San Diego, California and San Francisco, California while participating in fleet and squadron maneuvers. After duty with several destroyer divisions, she decommissioned at San Diego 25 May 1922 and was placed in reserve.
In accordance with provisions of the Destroyers for Bases Agreement of September 1940, Meade was designated one of the 50 destroyers to be transferred to the United Kingdom. She decommissioned and was turned over to the British 26 November 1940. Renamed HMS Ramsey (G60), she served the Royal Navy in the North Atlantic and later performed duty as an aircraft training ship. She completed her service 30 June 1945 and was scrapped in July 1947 at Boness, England.