The College of Veterinary Medicine (CVM) is one of the 11 degree-granting units of the University of the Philippines at Los Baños. It is the country's first veterinary school and is the only Center of Excellence in the field as evaluated by the Philippines' Commission on Higher Education.
Aside from teaching, CVM also undertakes research in various fields of veterinary medicine, including animal production and veterinary public health, and provides client-oriented veterinary services in urban and rural areas.
The College is composed of three departments - Basic Veterinary Sciences, Veterinary Paraclinical Sciences, and Veterinary Clinical Sciences. CVM has 101 personnel consisting of 42 faculty members, 52 administrative staff and 7 research and extension personnel. CVM is the only veterinary school in the country offering a Master of Science degree in Veterinary Medicine.
As rinderpest ravaged the country at the turn of the century, the Board of Regents of the University of the Philippines decided to establish a College of Veterinary Science. The College was founded on 18 June 1908 through Republic Act No. 1870 by the Philippine Legislature. It was one of the original colleges of the University of the Philippines and was later renamed College of Veterinary Medicine.
With Dr. Archibald Ward as the first dean, the College held its first classes on 4 June 1910 with four students at the Animal Quarantine Station, Pandacan, Manila. The first batch of students graduated in the former four-year DVM program in 1914. The college has been relocated to five different places: San Lazaro, Manila (1912-1919); Los Baños, Laguna (1919-1933); back to Pandacan, Manila (1933-1949); Diliman, Quezon City (1949-1983) and finally to Los Baños, Laguna in 1983.
In 1976 the World Bank encouraged the Board of Regents to completely transfer the College from UP Diliman to UPLB. The Board complied, but decided to retain the Veterinary Teaching Hospital in Diliman.
A joint facility of CVM with the Institute of Animal Science (IAS) and Dairy Training and Research Institute (DTRI), both of the College of Agriculture, the library has the most extensive collection of veterinary and animal science materials in the country.
Dr. Jose A. Solis Veterinary Anatomy Exhibit Hall
The Dr. Jose A. Solis Veterinary Anatomy Exhibit Hall, or Anatomy Museum, was named after the late anatomist and former faculty Jose A. Solis. The exhibit hall contains preserved specimens of selected terrestrial and aquatic animals, particularly skeletons, abnormal embryos or fetuses, and normal microscopic structures of some organs.
Parasite Collection and Reference Center
Built in July 1995, the Center houses the College’s collection of parasitic helminthes, arthropods, protozoa and a number of other invertebrates that serve as intermediate hosts of some of these parasites. It also displays collection on parasites of domestic and wild animals in the country. Likewise, it holds parasitological literature donated by National Scientist Carmen C. Velasquez and former dean Dr. Lope M. Yutuc, among others.
Biomedical Illustration and Microphotography Facility
This facility is located at the CVM Administration building and is available for microphotography and scientific drawing needs of the research faculty and undergraduate and graduate students.
Companion Animal Clinic
The Companion Animal Clinic is the Los Baños station of the Veterinary Teaching Hospital in Diliman. It has a preparation room, x-ray room, dark room, examination room, surgical laboratory room, and offices for the officer-in-charge, resident veterinarian, nurse, medical technologist and utility workers. The Clinic conducts vaccination, check-up/follow-up, deworming, diagnostic tests, treatment/euthanasia, and surgery, among others.
Companion Animal Hospital at UP Diliman
The Hospital at UP Diliman provides premium veterinary services to urban clients and accepts an average of 400 patients a day and earns an average gross income of PhP3M per year. It also performs surgical procedures and prevention, and diagnosis and treatment of diseases of companion animals or pets.
UPCVM-Univet Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory
The Laboratory is a collaborative project of CVM and Univet Agricultural Products, Inc. and provides diagnostic services to veterinarians and animal raisers, grants training to students and animal raisers on diagnostic laboratory techniques, and assists students and faculty in the conduct of researches on animal diseases.
CVM facilities in Tabon Field station accommodate the Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences, Veterinary Teaching Hospital-Tabon Station (Large Animal Clinic, Animal Disease Diagnostic Laboratory, Experimental Animal Farm), Vaccine and Virology Laboratory and research and extension projects. Tabon conducts animal dispersal projects and performs diagnostic procedures such as necropsy, bacterial isolation, water microbial analysis, blood parasite examination, antibiotic sensitivity test, and others.