U.P. Naming Mahal
is the university hymn of the University of the Philippines
. The melody for the song was written by Nicanor Abelardo
, an alumnus and former faculty member of the U.P. College of Music. Abelardo is considered to be one of the Philippines' greatest musicians. Because of the original scale of the hymn in B flat major, which is too high for the usual voice, UP Conservatory of Music (now UP College of Music) professors Hilarion Rubio and Tomas Aguirre reset the music in G major.
The original English lyrics (entitled as "U.P. Beloved") was taken from a poem by Teogenes Velez, a Liberal Arts student. The translation to Filipino was a composite from seven entries in a contest held by the University. The judges did not find any of the seven translations as fully satisfactory.
- U.P. naming mahal, pamantasang hirang
- Ang tinig namin, sana'y inyong dinggin
- Malayong lupain, amin mang marating
- Di rin magbabago ang damdamin
- Di rin magbabago ang damdamin.
- Luntian at pula, Sagisag magpakailanman
- Ating pagdiwang, bulwagan ng dangal
- Humayo't itanghal, giting at tapang
- Mabuhay ang pag-asa ng bayan
- Mabuhay ang pag-asa ng bayan.
Original English Lyrics
- U.P. beloved, thou Alma Mater dear
- For thee united, our joyful voices hear
- Far tho we wander, o'er island yonder
- Loyal thy sons we'll ever be
- Loyal thy sons we'll ever be.
- Echo the watchword, the Red and Green forever.
- Give out the password, to the Hall of Brave sons rare.
- Sing forth the message, ring out with courage
- All hail, thou hope of our dear land,
- All hail, thou hope of our dear land.