Tynemouth Metro station is one of the oldest stations and possibly the grandest on the Tyne and Wear Metro network. It was opened in 1882 by the North Eastern Railway and is now a Grade II* listed building. It served as the terminus for the first section of the Metro network from Tynemouth to Haymarket (in Newcastle City Centre) via Benton and Jesmond, that opened on 11 August 1980. It became a through station once more on 14 November 1982 when the section to St James via North Shields, Wallsend and Monument became the fourth section of the network to commence services. British Rail continued to operate services from the now disused bay platforms at the southern end of platform 2 for part of the period between the two openings.
Only the small portion of this once vast station now used by the Metro has been refurbished. A regular flea market is held in the station buildings every weekend, with an occasional farmers' market too. The Friends of Tynemouth Station have also arranged book fairs and displays of artwork at the station.
Trains from St James and Monument travel onwards anti-clockwise around the North Tyneside Loop to South Shields via Four Lane Ends, Central Station, Heworth today call at platform 1, while services running in the opposite direction stop at platform 2.