Many family histories recorded in the anniversary book tell of extreme hardships with the weather which can produce severe cold and blizzards in the winter and blazing heat and strong storms in the summer. On July 3, 1935 at about 9 am, the town experienced a notable weather event. A strong wind came up first and hail started falling and, combined with drenching rain, it caused significant damage to Tuttle and surrounding areas. Reportedly, nearly every window facing north and west was broken in homes and business places. Despite the damage, a July 4th Independence Day celebration occurred as planned. On July 1, 1952, about 7:00 pm, a tornado struck Tuttle in the evening. The clouds in the sky reportedly looked very threatening. As the tornado drew closer to the town, residents reported hearing a sound like "hundreds of freight trains bearing down." The funnel could not be seen in Tuttle as there was so much dust in the air, but people south of the town reported seeing it very clearly. The tornado heavily damaged several homes in Tuttle, but the majority were not touched.
2007 was a particularly difficult year for Tuttle. In this year, the Tuttle School closed. The Danielson Hotel, an abandoned hotel landmark on Tuttle's main street, was demolished. On November 19, 2007, the Tuttle post office building, a historic field stone structure created in 1938 as a WPA project, was significantly damaged after a furnace ignited and fire gutted the building. The resulting smoke plume was visible for many miles. Although the fieldstone walls still stand, the future of this building is in doubt.
Like many other small towns on the North American Great Plains that were settled in the early 20th century, nearly a century after its founding Tuttle has experienced the closure of many business which has paralleled a population trend of outmigration of young people to larger cities and a subsequent aging of its population. Today, Tuttle is without a bank, a school and newspaper, but is home to a well stocked co-op grocery store and grain elevator. Although the railroad track that caused Tuttle to be platted was removed around 2004, improved roads and access to Interstate Highway 94 has reduced the isolation of Tuttle. The cities of Bismarck, North Dakota and Jamestown, North Dakota are approximately a one hour drive from Tuttle, and are therefor accessible to Tuttle residents.
There were 56 households out of which 16.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 48.2% were married couples living together, 1.8% had a female householder with no husband present, and 50.0% were non-families. 46.4% of all households were made up of individuals and 26.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 1.89 and the average family size was 2.71.
In the city the population was spread out with 15.1% under the age of 18, 4.7% from 18 to 24, 12.3% from 25 to 44, 36.8% from 45 to 64, and 31.1% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 53 years. For every 100 females there were 103.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 95.7 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $25,000, and the median income for a family was $46,875. Males had a median income of $50,625 versus $16,607 for females. The per capita income for the city was $17,970. There were no families and 6.2% of the population living below the poverty line, including no under eighteens and 13.3% of those over 64.