The Tupolev Tu-12
(development designation Tu-77
) was a 1940s soviet jet-powered medium bomber developed from the successful piston engined Tupolev Tu-2
Development started in 1946 on a jet-powered light bomber under the bureau designation Tu-77. It used the cantilever wing and tailplane with twin fins and rudders from the Tu-2, although these were developed and strengthend. The fuselage was a new design with an elongated fully glazed nose and a retractable tricycle landing gear. The first aircraft was first flown in June 1947 and two aircraft were displayed at Tushino in August 1947. The prototypes were followed by an evaluation batch of about 50 aircraft.