The park encompasses 16,340 square kilometres and is located 170 kilometres north of the Arctic Circle in the northeast corner of mainland Northwest Territories.
Humans have occupied Tuktut Nogait since AD 1000 and recent surveys have identified over 360 archaeological sites in the park. The oldest known archaeological sites are most likely Thule or Copper Inuit ranging from AD 1200 to 1500. Father Émile Petitot was the first European to reach the area in 1867-68. In 1930, the Hudson's Bay Company established an outpost at Letty Harbour but the post was closed in 1937 due to insufficient trade. In 1935, a Roman Catholic Mission was located at Paulatuk and operated a small trading post there until 1954. The Inuit who came to Paulatuk and the Darnley Bay area were primarily Mackenzie and Alaskan Inuit from the west. In 1955, most people abandoned the Paulatuk mission and moved to Cape Parry where a Distant Early Warning (DEW) line site was being built, which meant seasonal construction and permanent wage labour work.
As is outlined in the Inuvialuit Final Agreement and the Tuktut Nogait Agreement, Inuvialuit beneficiaries have the right to pursue subsistence harvesting within the park. Currently, this takes place in the north-western part of the park and mostly entails fishing Arctic char, hunting caribou, and some trapping. By federal national parks legislation, commercial or sport hunting is not permitted.
Balsam Poplar (Populus Balsamifera; Salicaceae) beyond the Tree Line in the Western Canadian Mainland Arctic (Northwest Territories)
Mar 01, 2012; ABSTRACT. Balsam poplar is the northernmost tree species in North America, with a reported range that extends generally to the...