is the second largest town in County Sligo
(after the county town of Sligo
), and is situated at the base of the Ox Mountains
. The town is located on the N17 road
Tubbercurry has a very active Tidy Towns Project which is setting out to transform the town's visual appearance. It was one of the first towns in Ireland to be awarded Fair Trade status and is now home to a large Polish community who work in many of the local industries and retail stores.
The earliest mention of Tubbercurry is from 1397 when a battle took place in the town between two O’Connor families, the O’Connor Don from Roscommon and the O’Connors from Sligo town. St. Nathy is the patron saint of the area.
- Tubbercurry boasts two of the most popular and successful festivals in the West of Ireland; the Humbert Summer School of Irish traditional music and a major theatrical festival held every year. These events attract large numbers of performing artists and cultural tourists from all over the world.
- At Halloween, a ‘Samhain’ festival and street carnival is held at night which is popular with adults and children alike as giant monsters, goblins and fantastical creatures, unearthly creations, gods and goddesses roam the towns streets to the sounds of drums and the glow of spotlights.
Despite its small size Tubbercurry, is renowned in the West of Ireland for night time entertainment. On weekends the streets are often packed with people, especially during the summer months well into the early hours. Several bars and restaurants, as well as traditional Irish pubs, form the main attraction for people who travel from all over the Connacht region.
Teach Laighne/Public Library
This modern civic structure on Humbert Street which contains a state-of-the-art library, as well as meeting rooms and government offices which has won architectural awards. It is used by the community for meetings and other functions. The library has been instrumental in facilitating the setting up of a number of other groups in the community such as the Tubbercurry Writers Group, the Tubbercurry Bookworms Reading Group, and the library Chess and Draughts Club for children. A number of other community groups such as the Tubbercurry Tidy Towns project, Tubbercurry Women's Group and the Tubbercurry Historical Society meet regularly in the library.
The library is now the sole venue in County Sligo for a number of different exhibitions and collections and also serves as a venue for many workshops, presentations and lectures of interest to local people.
The local sports scene comprises Gaelic Football teams a senior Hurling team and also includes the local football club Real Tubber
. There is a golf course on the town's edge - Tubbercurry golf club. Other sports are catered for including athletics and badminton.
Tubbercurry is home to Saint Attracta's Community School, which was opened after the merger of Banada Abbey Secondary School and the Marist Convent.
- Currently public transport to the town is provided with a bus service which connects Tubbercurry directly with Galway, Sligo, Castlebar, Westport and Tuam, as well as frequent services to nearby Ireland West Airport.
- Tubbercurry railway station opened on 1 October 1895, closed for passenger traffic on 17 June 1963 and finally closed altogether on 3 November 1975.