Triple Champion Club
The Triple Champion Club or Triple Champion Group is the informal term given to the selected group of boxing champions who have won three different titles in exactly three totally different categories or weights divisions.
In the late twenty century it was a remarkable achievement of just few fighters because of two or only four major boxing regulating entities, such the WBC, the WBA and the IBF. Later the WBO joined the group.
Be in Triple Champion Club is almost one secure indicative that some day those fighters will be included in the Boxing Hall of Fame with other legendaries luminaries of the sport.
In the beginning of the twenty one Century more and more fighters have achieved this feat requiring less effort because two reasons:
- - the numerous weight categories (Mayor entities: 17 divisions in total + Minor entities: 19 in some circumstances) .
- - and the growing amount of professional boxing entities that claim a "World" status for its championships around the planet.
The fighters that compose this club or group are classified in two different categories depending the level of championships won:
- Major Titles - Bob Fitzsimmons (UK/NZ), Tony Canzoneri (USA), Barney Ross (USA), Henry Armstrong (USA), Emile Griffith (VI), Wilfred Benitez (PR), Alexis Argüello (NIC), Roberto Durán (PAN), Wilfredo Gómez (PR), Ray Charles Leonard (USA), Thomas Hearns (USA), Jeff Fenech (AUS), Héctor Camacho (PR), Julio César Chávez (MEX), Iran Barkley (USA), Duke McKenzie (UK), Pernell Whitaker (USA), Mike McCallum (JAM), Wilfredo Vázquez (PR), Oscar De La Hoya (USA), Roy Jones Jr. (USA), Leo Gamez (VEN), Félix Trinidad (PR); Johnny Tapia (USA); James Toney (USA); Shane Mosley (USA); Erik Morales (MEX), Marco Antonio Barrera (MEX), Floyd Mayweather, Jr.(USA) and Manny Pacquiao (PHI). Thirty (30) in total.
- Minor Titles - Vinny Pazienza (USA), Roger Mayweather (USA), Lester Ellis (Aus), Bobby Czyz (USA), Joey Gamache (USA), James "Buddy" McGirt (USA), Orlando Canizales (USA), Greg Haugen (USA), Mauricio Pastrana (COL), Junior Jones (USA), Cassius Baloyi (SA), Lehlohonolo Ledwaba (SA), Sirimongkol Singwangcha (THAI), Mzukisi Sikali (SA), Danny Romero (USA), Silvio Branco (Italy), Damaen Kelly (England), Rob Calloway (USA) and Zab Judah (USA). Eighteen (18) champions in total need a third championship from a 'minor world' boxing organization to get their status as Triple Champions in three divisions.
- Boxrec.com -title search
- Boxing Records
- Yahoo - Boxing
- Google - Records
- Steve Dimitry's Heavyweight Boxing History