The Bourbon kings of France remained patrons of the church. During the Napoleonic occupation of Rome, the church, like many others in Rome, was despoiled of its artwork and decoration. After the Bourbon restoration Louis XVIII, the looted artwork was returned, and the present façade was commissioned in 1816 from Carlo Francesco Mazois.
In 1828, under an agreement worked out by Pope Leo XII and Charles X of France, the church and monastery were entrusted to the "Religieuses du Sacré-Coeur de Jésus", a French religious order. The Society of the Sacred Heart, as it is otherwise known, remains headquartered there today.
In the first chapel to the right is a Baptism of Christ and other scenes of the life of John the Baptist by the Florentine Mannerist painter Giambattista Naldini. In the fourth chapel, the Cappella Orsini, are scenes of the Passion of Christ by Paris Nogari. The main altar has a canvas of the Crucifixion painted by Cesare Nebbia. In the Cappella Pucci, on the left, are frescoes (1537) by Perino del Vaga finished by Federico and Taddeo Zuccari in 1589. The second chapel has a well-known canvas in grisaille by the pupil of Michelangelo, Daniele da Volterra, which imitates in trompe l'oeil a work of sculpture; flanking it are frescoes by Paolo Céspedes and Cesare Arbasia. In the third chapel on the right, also by Volterra, is an Assumption. The first chapel on the left has frescoes by Nebbia. In the sacristy anteroom are more frescoes by Taddeo Zuccari: a Coronation of the Virgin, an Annunciation, and a Visitation.