Excavations by James Curle between February 1905 and September 1910 yielded finds of great importance. These include the foundations of several successive forts, one above the other, which throw much light on the character of the Roman military post; an unparalleled collection of Roman armour, including ornate cavalry parade (or 'sports') helmets, horse fittings including bronze saddleplates and studded leather chamfrons, a good series of Roman coins and datable pottery. The whole illustrate the history of the Roman army and that of the Roman military occupation in southern Scotland very remarkably. The cavalry unit stationed at Trimontium, ala Augustae Vocontiorum had been raised among the Vocontii of southern Gaul.
Between 1989 and 1993, further excavations were carried out by the Department of Archaeological Sciences at the University of Bradford.