Treasure Island is a popular reality television game show produced in New Zealand by Eyeworks Touchdown as well as in Ireland and Australia. In the show, contestants are isolated on a remote Fijian island (early shows were filmed in Tonga) and compete for a cash prize (of NZ$25,000, about US$20,000). "Treasure Island" is based on the successful Swedish show Expedition: Robinson and precedes the American reality show Survivor.
Tribes and Immunity
Celebrity Treasure Island: Season 1
Celebrity Treasure Island: Season 2
Season 3 Cast (Any Order)
End of the game
- Depending on the status and the length of time New Zealand Celebrities were on the island, they were usually given up to NZ$9,000 (about US$6,500) to appear on Celebrity Treasure Island.
- Celebrity Treasure Island season 1, at the end of every day, both teams would head to the hut where each member will fill out a quiz on a computer about treasure island and about their team mates. Once both teams have finished the quiz, the computer would generate the two lowest scoring members (one from each tribe) as to who will be leaving the island.
- Celebrity Treasure Island season 2, one selected member of the ladies team would compete with one selected member of the men's team in a 'terminator' challenge. The winner would become the terminator and would eliminate one member from both teams at the end of each day.
- Treasure Island: Series 1 (also called Treasure Island 1). Levin Bowen was its winner in beating law student Pieta Keating to the treasure chest hidden on the island.
- Treasure Island: Series 2 Palmerston North Radio DJ Tanya Pouwhare won, beating Gisborne C4 music TV host Clarke Gayford to the treasure. NOTE: Tanya Pouwhare became the first woman in the world to win a survival-type reality show. She won the show mere weeks before Tina Wesson won the second season of Survivor. Former runner-up of season one, Pieta Keating became the host this season.
- Celebrity Treasure Island: Series 1 was the first series of Celebrity Treasure Island but the third season of the Treasure Island series. Although celebrities were competing, the money they won went to a charity of their choosing. TV handyman John "Cocksy" Cochs won, defeating television presenter Stacey Daniels to the treasure. Pieta Keating is the host of this season.
- Celebrity Treasure Island: Series 2 was the fourth season of the Treasure Island series and was won by ex Shortland Street actress and current lawyer, Greer Robson. She won over another ex-Shortland Street star, Paul Ellis. Pieta Keating is the host for this season.
- Treasure Island: Extreme was hosted by model Jacqui Rickards and was more "extreme" than past Treasure Islands pitting ex-police, SAS, armed forces and soldiers against each other with no food, water or shelter at all. The winner of this season was John "Horse" McLeod.
- Celebrity Treasure Island: Series 3 was hosted by previous contestant Louise Wallace. This season of Celebrity Treasure Island was much for relaxed as though the celebrities were at a resort. However, TV presenter, Lana CocKroft, was struck down with a virus and had to be evacuated off the island. Ex-All Black Josh Kronfeld won this season.
- Superstars of Treasure Island put past winners and past season favourites back onto the island. This included past Irish and Australian winners as well as Levin Bowen, Pieta Kieting, Horse, Josh Kronfeld and Cocksy. Jon Stevens became the host. Josh Kronfeld became the first person to win two seasons of Treasure Island consecutively.
- Treasure Island: Couples at War was hosted by singer, Jon Stevens and put celebrity couples against each other. This included Vadim Dale and his wife, Natalie Franzmann, former Miss Popularity contestant Vicki-Lee McIntyre and her parter Scotty Rocker, and horse jockey Lance O'Sullivan and his wife Bridgette O'Sullivan. The O'Sullivan's became the winners of this season beating Simon Doull and his partner Peggy Bourne to the Treasure.
- Treasure Island: Pirates of the Pacific hosted by former celebrity contestant Matthew Ridge. This season features two tribes - The Buccaneers - featuring NZ Idol runner up Michael Murphy and former NZ Warriors league player Monty Betham and The Corsairs - featuring Australian disgraced rugby union rep Wendell Sailor and David Beckham's former assistant Rebecca Loos. The season was won by Dancing With The Stars dancer Hayley Holt, with Wendell Sailor coming runner-up.
Controversies & legal action
Irish Treasure Island
The Irish version of Treasure Island was broadcast in RTÉ 1 in the Summer of 2001 and 2002. Produced by Coco Television, the show was axed after its second series and a new reality show was planned for 2003.
BLUE TEAM: Yvonne Cronin (Winner), Tom Tom, Becky, Rob, Geoff, Sheila, Lewize, Peter
RED TEAM: Tom Barton (2nd Place), Padraic Doorey, Carole, Paul, Faith, Marya, Martin, Ann
Australian Treasure Island
The Australian version produced by David Mason premiered on Network Seven following the 2000 Summer Olympics
. It aired on Sunday nights at 7pm. Contestants playing for the $50,000 included:
- Michael (eliminated episode four)
- Gavin (eliminated episode four)
- James (eventual winner)