(Transleithanien) was an unofficial term for the Hungarian
part of Austria-Hungary
, the Dual monarchy created in 1867 and dissolved in 1918. The Transleithanian lands were also known as the Lands of the Crown of St. Stephen
(or of the Holy Crown of Hungary
The Latin name Transleithania derives from the Leitha (Lajta) river - most of its territory lay east (or "beyond" the river, from an Austrian perspective) of it. Cisleithania, the lands of the Austrian Empire in the Dual Monarchy, lay to the west of the Leitha river.
Transleithania consisted of the Kingdom of Hungary (Magyar Királyság), the internally self-governed Kingdom of Croatia-Slavonia (Horvát-Szlavónia Királyság), and the free port of Rijeka (Fiume).