Transilien Paris Saint-Lazare

Saint-Lazare, Quebec

Saint-Lazare, also known as Saint-Lazare-de-Vaudreuil, is an off-island suburb of Montreal, in southwestern Quebec, Canada in the Regional County Municipality of Vaudreuil-Soulanges.

The first French-speaking colonists began settling in the 18th century on the land granted by the Lord who, at the time, owned Vaudreuil, Rigaud and Lotbinière. These three domains were subdivided in concessions. Among those of Vaudreuil were Côte St-Charles, Pointe Cavagnol and Côte St-Louis where Solomon Grout was the first to settle in 1812. The first settlers cultivated the land and traded their crops in exchange for the use of the land. Their harvests included oat, rye, buckwheat, corn, potatoes, peas, beans, tomatoes and hay. The majority of the first English-speaking immigrants arrived after the war of 1812. Most immigrants were from New-England, and those that were from England mainly came from Cumberland and Scotland. In 1875, residents living in the parish we now call Saint-Lazare, expressed their desire to create a distinct region. On December 29th, 1875, an act conferred the status of municipality to the territory of Saint-Lazare which, in 1876, took the name of the Corporation Municipale de la Paroisse de Saint-Lazare. The Lord’s tenure was also abolished. The residents of Saint-Lazare are named Lazarois and Lazaroise, not be confused with Lazarien and Lazariene from Saint-Lazare-de-Bellechasse.

According to stories carried word-of-mouth through the generations, businessmen were attracted to the area by the idea of exploiting iron mines along the Sainte-Angélique concession road. This first production and extraction of natural resources became an incentive for other merchants to settle in the area. Local businesses included three sawmills to handle tree cuttings and fulfill local construction needs. Horses were used to pull wagons carrying mineral extracts to be shipped off to the iron forges of the day, including that of St-Maurice. From agriculture to mines to mills, the beginning of its commercial activity in Saint-Lazare was almost entirely based on its natural resources.

Demographics

According to the 2006 Statistics Canada Census :

  • Population: 17,016
  • % Change (20012006): 32.0
  • Dwellings: 5,765
  • Area (km²): 66.53
  • Density (persons per km²): 255.7
  • Average Annual Household Income: $49,687, compared to an average of $19,385 in the Province of Quebec.



Mother tongue language from Canada 2006 Census

Language Population Percentage (%)
French only 9,230 54.25%
English only 6,165 36.23%
Both English and French 250 1.47%
Other languages 1,370 8.05%

Saint-Lazare has experienced rapid growth since 1990, fueled predominantly by the arrival of young, middle-class families. New residents flocked to the area with the idea of escaping the hustle and bustle of life on the island of Montreal. Although Saint-Lazare residents are protective of their country lifestyle the area is not without its amenities. A trial bus service is currently in process of being tested to provide public transportation between Saint-Lazare and Saint-Anne-De-Bellevue on the island of Montreal, connecting the town's residents to the extensive public transit network of the greater Montreal area.

The distribution of wealth in Saint-Lazare ranges from lower middle class to upper middle class and the average income is significantly above the provincial average. Current population is unofficially around 17,000 inhabitants with further growth forecast as new developments are planned along Côte-St-Charles and further along St-Angelique. A new sports centre was opened to the public in 2006 along with a new senior elementary school, Forest Hill Senior. Several high schools in the surrounding area provide secondary education to the region's growing young population. These include two English language public high schools (Westwood Senior - formerly Hudson High School - and Westwood Junior), one French language public high school (Cité-des-Jeunes in Vaudreuil-Dorion), and a semi-private French-speaking institution in Rigaud (Collège-Bourget).

Saint-Lazare is graced by significant public funding for its ambitious recreational projects. Bedard Park in the centre of the town is a relatively large park equipped with a small water park, a grass field, three baseball diamonds, and tennis courts. In the winter two hockey rinks and an ice skating oval are added. The park hosts several events throughout the year, among the biggest of which is the annual St-Jean-de-Baptiste festival. Other parks in Saint-Lazare are scattered among the small subdivisions throughout the municipality.

History of the Town

  • 2001 On December 29, Saint-Lazare officially becomes a "Town".
  • 2001 Saint-Lazare inaugurates its new community center to serve a population of 13 310.
  • 2000 The Town evacuates more than 70% of its territory during the fire than destroyed the Regent chemical plant. The Town also celebrates its 125th anniversary.
  • 1998 The roof of the Roman Catholic Church must be redone following the ice storm.
  • 1997 The new des Seigneuries Police Corps is created and replaced the one dedicated to Saint-Lazare.
  • 1993 The municipal logo we know today is adopted. It represents the groundwater, the sand, the forest canopy, the equestrian vocation as well as environmental quality.
  • 1986 Saint-Lazare counts 5064 residents.

Communities

References

Search another word or see Transilien Paris Saint-Lazareon Dictionary | Thesaurus |Spanish
Copyright © 2014 Dictionary.com, LLC. All rights reserved.
  • Please Login or Sign Up to use the Recent Searches feature