St. Elsewhere is the debut album by Gnarls Barkley, a collaboration between Danger Mouse and Cee-Lo. The album was originally titled Who Cares? in reference to the low sales Gnarls Barkley prematurely predicted their album would experience. It was released on April 24 2006 in the United Kingdom, where it debuted at number one on the UK Album Chart, and on May 9 2006 in the United States, although it was available for purchase one week earlier as a digital download in the U.S. iTunes Music Store. It debuted at number twenty on the U.S. Billboard 200, and as of the Billboard 200 issue date of August 5, 2006, it peaked at #4 on this chart.
The album's first single, "Crazy", was the first song to become a UK number-one single based solely on downloads.
As of August 22, 2006, the album has been shipped to stores in excess of 1,000,000 units, receiving a platinum certification from the RIAA. By Nielsen SoundScan sales are now at 1,260,535 copies, as of March 15 2007.
A limited edition deluxe package of St. Elsewhere was released on November 7. The CD+DVD package includes a 92 page booklet, four music videos and bonus songs from live performances. It was also released on vinyl.
The album has sold over 3.6 million copies worldwide to date.
- "Go-Go Gadget Gospel" (Brian Burton, Thomas Callaway, Nicolas Flagello) – 2:19
- "Crazy" (Burton, Callaway, Gianfranco Reverberi, Gianpiero Reverberi) – 2:58
- "St. Elsewhere" (Burton, Callaway, Barry Clarke, David Costa, Celia Humphris, Stephen Brown) – 2:30
- "Gone Daddy Gone" (Gordon Gano, Willie Dixon) – 2:28
- "Smiley Faces" (Burton, Callaway) – 3:05
- "The Boogie Monster" (Burton, Callaway, Armando Trovaioli, Angelo Francesco Lavagnino) – 2:50
- "Feng Shui" (Burton, Callaway, Nino Nardini) – 1:26
- "Just a Thought" (Burton, Callaway, Kevin Peek) – 3:42
- "Transformer" (Burton, Callaway, Marlene Moore) – 2:18
- "Who Cares?" (Burton, Callaway, Keith Mansfield) – 2:28
- "Online" (Burton, Callaway) – 1:49
- "Necromancer" (Burton, Callaway) – 2:58
- "Storm Coming" (Burton, Callaway) – 3:08
- "The Last Time" (Burton, Callaway, Ian Langley) – 3:25U.S. iTunes bonus tracks
- "Crazy (Instrumental)" (Burton, Gianfranco Reverberi, Gianpiero Reverberi) – 3:00
- "Go-Go Gadget Gospel (Instrumental)" (Burton, Flagello) – 2:14
Available through Amazon MP3
store as bonus tracks
- "Transformer (Instrumental)" – 2:10
- "The Boogie Monster (Instrumental)" – 2:49
Critical reception and awards
The album has received mostly positive reviews from music critics, most of whom praised the album's innovation and high production values, and has a total score of 81 on Metacritic.
The album was rated as the best release of 2006 by popmatters.
In 2007, the album won the Grammy Award for Best Alternative Music Album, with nominations for Album of the Year and Record of the Year for "Crazy".