The station opened as a station of Hōraiji Railway, a predecessor operator of the Iida Line, on February 1, 1923. Hōraiji Railway was integrated into the Japanese Government Railways on August 1, 1943.
The station was named Torii because it is adjacent to the reported deathplace of Torii Suneemon, a samurai famed for his brave act and death by execution during the siege of Nagashino Castle (Battle of Nagashino) in 1575. The ruin of Nagashino Castle is adjacent to the neighboring Nagashinojō Station.
The unstaffed station has one side platform that serves trains of both directions.