is a mansion located in Melbourne
, built in 1849 by well-known Melbourne merchant James Jackson. Jackson died in 1851, and the house was leased to the Victorian government
in 1854 for use as Government House
. It reverted to being a private home in 1876, and was used as a Women's Australian Air Force
hostel during World War II
. In 1956 it was purchased by the Swedish Church
, who converted the property into a church and community centre.
The word Toorak is believed to have Aboriginal origins, and is similar in pronunciation to words meaning black crow or reedy swamp. The house gave its name to the Melbourne suburb of Toorak.