Titel (Тител) is a town and municipality in the South Bačka District of the Vojvodina, Serbia. The town of Titel has a population of 5,831, while the population of the municipality of Titel is 16,936. It is located in southeastern part of Bačka, known as Šajkaška.
All settlements in the municipality have an ethnic Serb majority.
In the 10th century, the town was conquered by the Hungarians, who ruled over it until 1526. The town was first mentioned under name Titel in 1077. Between 1077 and 1095 the Catholic monastery was founded in the town.
Since 1526, the town was part of the Ottoman Empire. According to the first Ottoman census from 1546, the town had 87 houses, of which most were Serbian, three were Croatian, one Hungarian, and one Vlach. The duke of the town was Vuk Radić. That census recorded that five of the citizens were immigrants, meaning that others lived there before Ottomans conquered the town.
Since 1699, the town was part of the Hungarian Kingdom. It was included in the Habsburg Military Frontier. Between 1750 and 1763, the town was under civil administration until it was returned to the jurisdiction of the Military Frontier (Šajkaš Battalion).
In 1848/1849, Titel was part of Serbian Vojvodina, a Serb autonomous region within the Habsburg Empire. Between 1849 and 1872, it was again part of the Military Frontier, and after 1872, it came under civil administration as a part of the Bačka-Bodrog County.
After 1918, the town became part of the Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes and subsequent South Slavic states. During the Hungarian Axis occupation, in 1942 raid, 51 inhabitants of the town were murdered, of whom 45 were men, 1 child, and 5 old people. By nationality, victims included 49 Serbs, and 1 Jew.