In 2001 the parish had a population of 242. In 2006 the parish had a population nearing 300.
The village is just west of the A1 and within walking distance of the town of Stamford in Lincolnshire. The village has a small village hall, which was recently refurbished, and a beautiful church. Next door to the village hall is a football pitch for the youths of Tinwell that was recently remade and flattened, with new goal posts: it is rarely used. Also nearby on Crown Lane is the village pub "The Crown" that is fairly quiet.
On 8 July 1944, two C47s collided after taking-off from RAF Spanhoe for an exercise. One crew member managed to parachute safely but eight others and 26 Polish paratroops of the Polish 1st Independent Parachute Brigade perished in the crash. The American casualties from 315th Troop Carrier Group were taken to the Cambridge American Cemetery for burial and the Polish casualties were taken to the Polish Cemetery at Newark. All those killed are commemorated in the church.