church is one of the remaining old stone churches that have been built through the ages in Norway
. There is uncertainty as to when it was actually constructed but records indicate between 1150 and 1200. The 800+ year old church in Tingvoll and the large angular farmhouse beside it, lie on a beautiful spot on the north side of the Tingvoll fjord
. In the old times, Tingvoll was a court place for Nordmøre
County. The length of the church is 32 meters, the height of the steeple, with spire, is 36 meters. The steeple dates from 1787. The walls are 1.8 meter thick and has corridors inside, both on the south side and on the north side. The corridors run in steep stairs up to the crown of the wall under the rafters and then down again with the same steep pitch. It is a mystery why they were constructed. So also a balcony outside under the gable, located above the chancel. The church is richly decorated. From the painted walls in the weaponhouse
, the whitewash paintings inside the nave to the arc ceiling in the chancel which is adorned with stars and "half" moons. In the chancel wall, behind the top of the altarpiece, there is a marble rock with runic inscriptions. This inscription contains a prayer and also what is believed to be the name of the constructor - Gunnar. In 1928-29 the church was given a restoration work.