The temporary building, with seating for 450, attracted a growing number of people, and was considered very 'High Church' for its day - many of the things that we associate with catholic worship were yet to come, however. The roof of the Tin Church was unfortunately not waterproof, and it was quickly apparent inside when it was raining outside! The idea of a permanent building was raised, and there followed a period of great activity to raise the necessary money. Many people were most generous - more land was given, plans were drawn up and approved and eventually the foundation stone was laid on 17th July 1891. Two years and two days later, on 19th July 1893, John Wogan Festing, Lord Bishop of St Albans, dedicated the fine building. It cost £11,000 to build - a huge sum in those days. In May 1904 St John's became a parish church in its own right.
Restoration work has been undertaken in the latter half of the twentieth century. The chancel and sanctuary were restored/cleaned in 1961. The nave and aisles were cleaned and redecorated in memory of the first vicar Canon James who died in 1966. Outside stonework was restored/cleaned in 1973 for the church's centenary.
St John's has a fine pipe organ built in 1911 by the London firm of J.W.Walker & Sons, Ltd. The rood screen was designed by Sir John Ninian Comper (1864-1960). Many other gifts of fine plate silver, vestments, copes, stations of the cross, crib figures, statue of The Madonna, glass, and woodwork have been received over the years.