Within the Tilgate forest in the 17th century was a furnace (Tilgate Furnace).
In the 1860s a large house (Tilgate Mansion) and estate was created of 2185 acres (which included of woodland). The entrance and Tilgate Forest Lodge is near Three Bridges railway station. The supply ponds for the furnace survived and became Tilgate Lake within the estate.
The estate was associated with the Joliffe family (and later the Nix family of bankers).
The estate was sold by auction on 7 September 1939, this included the park and mansion and properties in Three Bridges. The mansion was converted into flats, used by the Canadian Army during the Second World War but later demolished. The lodge house is now a Bank in Three Bridges. The estate became Tilgate Park.
The Thomas Bennett School (opened in 1958) was one of the earliest Comprehensive Schools in England, and by 1967 was the largest secondary school in England. It was named after Sir Thomas Bennett, chairman of the town's Development Corporation. There are also several primary schools within the area, as well as a parade of shops, churches, medical facilities, and other amenities. The area is one of the quietest in Crawley, as the population is largely made up of older residents.
K2 a new leisure centre for Crawley was opened in November 2005, on land formerly belonging to Thomas Bennett School.