Dr. Avraham Albert Ticho and his cousin Anna were born at the end of the 19th century in Moravia, then part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. The Tichos bought the house in 1924. They converted the lower story into an eye clinic which served the population of Jerusalem, rich and poor alike, until Dr. Ticho's death in 1960.
Anna served as his assistant and at the same time began going out into the landscape and drawing the hills, views and figures of Jerusalem. As a token of her love for Jerusalem, Anna Ticho bequeathed the house, all of its collections and its library to the people of the city, to serve as a public centre for art.