The Britton Cottage
was the residence at the turn of the last century of Nathaniel Lord Britton
, the creator of the NY Botanic Gardens. The oldest section of the cottage dates to 1650, with editions in the mid 1700s. It is constructed of stone and timberframe components.
Dr. Britton deeded the house to the Staten Island Institute of Arts and Sciences in 1915. The cottage was moved to Historic Richmondtown in 1967.
Sterling, Keir B. 1997. Biographical dictionary of American and Canadian naturalists and environmentalists. Westport, Conn: Greenwood Press.
- Neighborhood Preservation center, New York, NY