(1926) is the first volume of stories about Winnie-the-Pooh
, by A. A. Milne
. It is followed by The House at Pooh Corner
. The book focuses on the adventures of a teddy bear called Winnie-the-Pooh and his friends Piglet, a small toy pig, Eeyore, a toy donkey, Owl, a live owl, and Rabbit, a live rabbit. The characters of Kanga, a toy kangaroo, and her son Roo are introduced later in the book, in the chapter entitled "In Which Kanga and Baby Roo Come to the Forest and Piglet Has a Bath." The bouncy toy-tiger character of Tigger is not introduced until the sequel, The House at Pooh Corner
Portions of the book were adapted from previously published stories. The first chapter, for instance, was adapted from "The Wrong Sort of Bees", a story published in the London Evening News in its issue for Christmas Eve 1925. The chapters in the book can be read independently of each other, as they are episodic in nature and plots do not carry over from one chapter to the next.
The book has been translated into over 25 languages, including a Latin translation called Winnie Ille Pu.
- In Which We Are Introduced to Winnie-the-Pooh and Some Bees and the Stories Begin
- In Which Pooh Goes Visiting and Gets Into a Tight Place
- In Which Pooh and Piglet Go Hunting and Nearly Catch a Woozle
- In Which Eeyore Loses A Tail and Pooh Finds One
- In Which Piglet Meets a Heffalump
- In Which Eeyore Has A Birthday And Gets Two Presents
- In Which Kanga And Baby Roo Come To The Forest And Piglet Has A Bath
- In Which Christopher Robin Leads An Expotition To The North Pole
- In Which Piglet Is Entirely Surrounded By Water
- In Which Christopher Robin Gives Pooh A Party and We Say Goodbye
The first two chapters were adapted for the Disney
cartoon featurette Winnie the Pooh and the Honey Tree
, and the last two chapters were adapted for Winnie the Pooh and the Blustery Day
. In addition, part of chapter 3 was adapted into Winnie the Pooh and Tigger Too!
, and chapter 6 was adapted as the main plot of Winnie the Pooh and a Day for Eeyore
. Also, chapter 7 was adapted in an episode of The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
and then again in Piglet's Big Movie
Disney also released chapter 2 in book form, as "Winnie the Pooh meets Gopher", and chapter 6 as "Eeyore's Birthday".