The Jungle, formally known as Wheldon Road, is a stadium in Castleford, West Yorkshire, England that is the home of the Castleford Tigers rugby league team. The stadium changed its name to the Jungle after a sponsorship deal with Jungle.com, after the sponsorship deal ended the club decided to keep the name "The Jungle".
Castleford Tigers are currently investigating relocating to a new 13,000 capacity stadium in the Glasshoughton area of the town, near Xscape and better access to the M62. This had been granted planning permission in November 2007 and is expected to open in 2009 or 2010.
The Jungle is an old terraced style stadium and its capacity is 11,750. This includes 1,500 seats in the wooden main stand with the remainder of the spectators standing. Three sides of The Jungle are covered, with the Railway End open to the elements.
Although, it creates a great atmosphere for home fans, the ground is sadly dilapidated and a new ground is desperately needed as it doesn't meet modern stadium standards.
The ground was originally the home of Castleford Town FC who disappeared after being refused entry to the Third Division.
Castleford Tigers (Castleford RLFC as they were then) moved to the stadium in 1927 after the completion of their first season (1926-27) as a senior rugby league club. This first season was played at the inappropriately named 'Sandy desert' in Lock Lane, a venue that was very prone to flooding.
The record attendance at the ground is 25,449 for a third round Challenge Cup match against Hunslet in 1935. The official attendance for a second round Challenge Cup match against Hull KR in 1965 was 22,582 but a reported 8,000 people got in without paying.
Floodlights were installed for the 1965-6 season.