The train was usually pulled by a streamlined LNER Class A4 Pacific locomotive, which were given a special garter blue livery with red wheels for the service. Latter this livery was later chosen as the standard color for the class. The observation cars used on this service had a distinctive beavertail, they ran in this form until war broke out and the coaches were put in store. They stayed in store until 1948 when various vehicles returned to service used as general passenger stock, they were never to run as a full set again. The Two beavertail observation cars were transferred to the West Highland lines in 1956. Their original observation end was found to give limited views, so the decision was taken by British Rail to rebuild them with a more angled end and have larger windows added. They ran in this form from 1959 to 1968. Both the beavertail observation cars have survived and are now being restored by Railway Vehicle Preservations Ltd. Who intend to restore one in its rebuilt condition and the other to its original condition.