Dave Campbell's Texas Football
is an annual publication, previewing football
teams in the state of Texas
It is unique in that it is the only publication to preview every team in Texas (to the extent information is available), from the NFL's Dallas Cowboys and Houston Texans, through every level of college football, to the roughly 1,300 high schools (public and private) in the state that field football teams.
The publication is issued in early summer, about 1-2 months before the start of preseason football. It sells for US$9.95 and is available in most Texas stores which sell magazines.
The magazine was started in 1960
by Dave Campbell, longtime writer and editor for the Waco Tribune-Herald
. He published the magazine out of his own kitchen. On the cover of the inaugural edition was Texas Longhorns
' running back Jackie Collins. The cover price was fifty cents.
It was bought it 1985 by Host Communications, who was bought by IMG in 2007. Today, the magazine is published out of IMG's Dallas office.
Since then, it has become one of the best-selling football magazines in the state and has been dubbed "The Bible of Texas Football." Each year, its release is widely anticipated and the identity of the cover boy is a tightly-guarded secret. At the age of 82, Mr. Campbell still holds the position of Editor-in-Chief.
In 1999, Texas Football started its own high school football event, the Texas Football Classic, which is held at the beginning of each season at the Alamodome in San Antonio.
- 1960: Jackie Collins of Texas
- 1961: Ronnie Bull of Baylor (also pictured: Lance Alworth of Arkansas and James Saxton of Texas)
- 1962: Sonny Gibbs of TCU
- 1963: Coach Darrell Royal and Scott Appleton of Texas
- 1964: Lawrence Elkins and John Bridgers of Baylor
- 1965: Donny Anderson of Texas Tech
- 1966: John LaGrone of SMU (also pictured: Greg Pipes of Baylor and Diron Talbert of Texas)
- 1967: Maurice Moorman of Texas A&M
- 1968: Edd Hargett of Texas A&M
- 1969: James Street of Texas
- 1970: Steve Worster of Texas
- 1971: Charles Napper of Texas Tech
- 1972: Brad Dusek of Texas A&M
- 1973: Glen Gaspard of Texas
- 1974: Coach Darrell Royal of Texas
- 1975: Coach Grant Teaff of Baylor
- 1976: Coach Bill Yeoman of Houston
- 1977: Rodney Allison of Texas Tech
- 1978: Russell Erxleben of Texas and Tony Franklin of Texas A&M
- 1979: Steve McMichael of Texas
- 1990: Coach Spike Dykes of Texas Tech
- 1991: David Klingler of Houston
- 1992: Trevor Cobb of Rice
- 1993: Coach R. C. Slocum of Texas A&M (also pictured: Jerrod Douglas of Converse Judson High School)
- 1994: Shea Morenz of Texas (also pictured: Tony Brackens of Texas)
- 1995: The cover was a collage featuring many important figures in Southwest Conference history, including: Earl Campbell, Bill Yeoman, Darrell Royal, Fred Akers, Sammy Baugh, Mike Singletary and Doak Walker. It was illustrated by Michael J. Taylor.
- 1996: Coach Chuck Reedy of Baylor, Coach John Mackovic of Texas, Coach R. C. Slocum of Texas A&M and Coach Spike Dykes of Texas Tech
- 1997: James Brown and Ricky Williams of Texas (also pictured: Coach Kim Helton of Houston)
- 1998: Two different covers: one featuring Coach Mack Brown and Ricky Williams of Texas; the other featuring Dat Nguyen of Texas A&M
- 1999: Coach Mack Brown of Texas, Coach Dennis Franchione of TCU (an alternate cover was made in 1999 for copies that were sold outside the state of Texas. It featured Troy Aikman.)
- 2000: Cedric Benson of Midland's Robert E. Lee High School
- 2001: Casey Printers of TCU, Kliff Kingsbury of Texas Tech, Chris Simms of Texas and Mark Farris of Texas A&M
- 2002: Kliff Kingsbury of Texas Tech, Coach G.A. Moore of Celina High School, Emmitt Smith of the Dallas Cowboys and Drew Tate of Baytown's Lee High School
- 2003: Roy Williams of Texas
- 2004: Adell Duckett of Texas Tech, Patrick Cobbs of North Texas, Marvin Godbolt of TCU and Kevin Kolb of Houston
- 2005: Vince Young of Texas and Reggie McNeal of Texas A&M
- 2006: Earl Campbell of Texas, John Chiles of Mansfield's Summit High School, Ryan Mallett of Texarkana's Texas High School, Jarrett Lee of Brenham High School and G.J. Kinne of Gilmer High School
- 2007: Tommy Blake of TCU, Colt McCoy of Texas and Stephen McGee of Texas A&M
- 2008: Mike Leach, Michael Crabtree, and Graham Harrell of Texas Tech