The Bonstelle Theatre is the undergraduate theater used by Wayne State University, and is located at 3424 Woodward Avenue (the southeast corner of Woodward and Eliot). It was originally built in 1902 as the Temple Beth-El.
When Rabbi Leo M. Franklin first began leading services of Detroit's Temple Beth El in 1899, he felt that the construction of a new temple building on Detroit's "Piety Row" stretch of Woodward would increase the visibility and prestige on Detroit's Jewish community. Accordingly, in October 0f 1900, the congregation held a special meeting at which it was decided to build a new temple. A site for the new temple was purchased in April of the next year, and Albert Kahn, a member of the congregation, was hired to design the building. Groundbreaking began on November 25, 1901, with the ceremonial cornerstone laid on April 23, 1902. The first services were held in the chapel on January 24, 1903, and the formal dedication was held on September 18-19 of the same year.
The temple is a Beaux-Arts structure influenced primarily by Roman and Greek temples. There is a prominent dome over the main area of the temple, with gabled wings on the north and south. A pedimented extension on the front once extended into a porch; the front section of the building was lost when Woodward was widened.
When the Temple Beth El congregation built another building farther north along Woodward
in 1922, they sold the building at Woodward and Eliot to Jessie Bonstelle fro $500,000. Bonstelle hired architect C. Howard Crane
to convert the building into a theater, naming the resulting building the Bonstelle Playhouse. In 1928, the Bonstelle Playhouse became the Detroit Civic Theatre, and in the 1930s became the Mayfair Motion Picture Theater. In 1951, Wayne State University rented the building as a performance space for its theater company, and purchased it outright in 1956, renaming it the Bonstelle Theatre in honor of Jessie Bonstelle.
References and further reading
- Sobocinski, Melanie Grunow (2005). Detroit and Rome: building on the past. Regents of the University of Michigan. ISBN 0933691092.