Tealby is a village on the edge of the Lincolnshire Wolds. Tealby is most famous for the Tennyson d'Eyncourt family which donated the Village Hall and School. In the Eighties the school was used for the filming of the program Nanny. In the early 2000's the village was granted permission for a general shop to be built; it was a great success and is now run by volunteers. It also has a post office; it was threatened with closure however deals were made and the PO is to remain open at certain times of the week. The Kings Head, one of two pubs in the village, is one of the oldest in the country and still retains a thatched roof. Tealby also boasts the All Saints Church which dominates the village and dates back to the 12th century. Built using Tealby orange-iron stone it certainly stands out. There are many memorials to the Tennyson d'Eyncourt family in the church. Most famous residents include Bernie Taupin, who lived down Beck Hill and the Tennyson d'Eyncourt family. (See below)
Bayons Manor at Tealby, Lincs. was once owned by Charles Tennyson, later Tennyson d'Eyncourt, the uncle of Alfred, Lord Tennyson. The estate was purchased by Reginald William Drakes (1894-1969) in 1944. He was a local farmer, who bought it primarily for the farmland, as the house was already derelict and becoming dangerous. Sadly, due its dangerous condition, a subsequent owner had it demolished in 1964 by Thomas Walkley & Son Explosives Ltd.
The 1960s was a period when a great deal of England's history was sadly lost. It was only 19 years after the end of World War II and people were looking forward to a bright and more 'modern' future. Many large houses were sold off, the estates frequently being broken up into smaller plots of land. There just wasn't the money or interest to preserve our heritage. Though this was a 'Victorian folly' created around an earlier and much smaller home, it was an inestimable loss to the Nation, the village of Tealby and the Lincolnshire Wolds. It would have become a great tourist attraction, and would have been of considerable benefit to the local economy, had English Heritage or The National Trust taken it over, apart from being a beautiful building and estate. It was an extremely rare example of a Victorian Stately home in the style of a moated castle.
Tealby has a variety of clubs and associations, notably the Lawn Tennis and Bowls Club. The village uses the village hall for parties, village social events, playgroup, school events and meetings. The hall is run by a committee, that looks after the hall and ensure that it is not disrespected or vandalised. The Tealby Tennis CLub is used by youngsters and adults alike, with tennis lessons on a Saturday morning for children aged 5-18 and club meetings for adult players. The courts are used by people from all over the district. The day after Wimbledon, the club hosts 'Mini Wimbledon' for the younger players usually run by the young adults participating in the Young Leaders Tennis Course.