The car was powered by an ohv air-cooled four cylinder boxer motor of 1465 cc, positioned at the front, and giving a claimed output of 22 PS (16.2 kW). Power was delivered to the front wheels via a four speed gear-box. The Tatra 54 featured a central "backbone chassis" a hallmark of Design Chief Ledwinka: the front axle was supported by a transverse leaf spring while a second transverse leaf spring supported the swing rear axle.
Various four and six seater saloon bodies were available with two or four doors. During its three year production run, 1510 Tatra 54s were built.