Tallinn University of Technology (TUT) (Estonian: Tallinna Tehnikaülikool (TTÜ)) is the only university of technology in Estonia, and one of the three most important institutions of higher education in Estonia generally. It is located in the capital city of Estonia, Tallinn. Tallinn University of Technology is not related to Tallinn University, which since 2005 is the new name of the former Tallinn Pedagogical University. TUT has colleges in Tallinn, Kuressaare and Kohtla-Järve.
In the early twentieth century an urgent need for locally trained engineering specialists was recognised. Until then, young people from Estonia had received their specialist education in St. Petersburg, Germany or Riga. Opportunities had to be sought for engineering-minded people to acquire an Estonian-based education which was adapted to local conditions and needs.
On September 17 1918, the Estonian Engineering Society opened an Estonian-based engineering school named Special Engineering Courses. That date has been recognised as the founding date of the Tallinn University of Technology. Programmes were offered in mechanical, electrical, civil and hydraulic engineering, shipbuilding and architecture. In 1919, the school became the private Tallinn College of Engineering, which in 1920 was declared a state institution. Teachers' efforts to develop Estonian terminology for science and technology proved fruitful and the first engineering books were published. In 1923, the first engineering graduation theses were defended in Estonia. In the same year, a state laboratory of materials testing opened for research work.
By the 15 September 1936 Act of the Head of State, the school was granted university status, and named the Tallinn Technical Institute. The institute had two faculties: civil and mechanical engineering and chemistry and mining. In 1938, the name - Tallinn Technical University (TTU) - was effective. In 1940 the Faculty of Economics, in 1958 the Faculty of Power Engineering and in 1965 the Faculty of Control Engineering were founded. After 2003 the university was known in English as the Tallinn University of Technology (TUT).
As of 1 July 2008, it has merged with International University Audentes (IUA), which will be a part of TUT's Faculty of Economics and Business Administration. The full structural merger is expected to be completed by June 2009.