The Tallawang area (originally often spelled Tallewang) was originally settled by Aboriginal people. In the 1830s the area was settled by Europeans, originally raising sheep. The Tallawang area is in the valley of Tallawang Creek, which flows south into the Cudgegong River near Gulgong.
There was an inn at Tallawang on the track and stock route which is now the Castlereagh Highway. In the 1860s gold was discovered at Tallawang and it became the site of a minor gold rush, overshadowed by the much larger discoveries of gold at Gulgong to the south of Tallawang.
In the late 1800s, many small farms at Tallawang were owned by retired gold miners, and Tallawang had an inn, school, church and stores. A railway station opened when the railway line was built from Gulgong to Dunedoo in 1909, and was closed in 1974.
In the 1980s an iron ore mine operated at Tallawang, which was apparently the only iron ore mine in New South Wales in recent times.
Today nothing remains of Tallawang.
New Geophysics Study Findings Have Been Reported from Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO)
Jan 25, 2013; By a News Reporter-Staff News Editor at Science Letter -- Current study results on Geophysics have been published. According to...