, a tRNA (guanine-N2-)-methyltransferase
is an enzyme
the chemical reaction
- S-adenosyl-L-methionine + tRNA S-adenosyl-L-homocysteine + tRNA containing N2-methylguanine
Thus, the two substrates of this enzyme are S-adenosyl methionine and tRNA, whereas its two products are S-adenosylhomocysteine and tRNA containing N2-methylguanine.
This enzyme belongs to the family of transferases, specifically those transferring one-carbon group methyltransferases. The systematic name of this enzyme class is S-adenosyl-L-methionine:tRNA (guanine-N2-)-methyltransferase. Other names in common use include transfer ribonucleate guanine 2-methyltransferase, transfer ribonucleate guanine N2-methyltransferase, transfer RNA guanine 2-methyltransferase, guanine-N2-methylase, and S-adenosyl-L-methionine:tRNA (guanine-2-N-)-methyltransferase.
As of late 2007, 3 structures have been solved for this class of enzymes, with PDB accession codes , , and .
- Baguley BC, Staehelin M "The specificity of transfer ribonucleic acid methylases from rat liver". Biochemistry. 7 45–50.
- Bjork GR, Svensson I "Studies on microbial RNA. Fractionation of tRNA methylases from Saccharomyces cerevisiae". Eur. J. Biochem. 9 207–15.
- Krauss J and Stahelin M "N2-Guanine specific transfer RNA methyltransferase I from rat liver and leukemic rat spleen". Nucleic Acids Res. 1 1455–1478.
- Krauss J and Stahelin M "N2-Guanine specific transfer RNA methyltransferase II from rat liver". Nucleic Acids Res. 1 1479–1496.
- Agris PF, Spremulli LL, Brown GM "tRNA methylases from HeLa cells: purification and properties of an adenine-1-methylase and a guanine-N2-methylase". Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 162 38–47.
- Glick JM, Ross S, Leboy PS "S-adenosylhomocysteine inhibition of three purified tRNA methyltransferases from rat liver". Nucleic. Acids. Res. 2 1639–51.
- Izzo P, Gantt R "Partial purification and characterization of an N2-guanine RNA methyltransferase from chicken embryos". Biochemistry. 16 3576–81.
- Glick JM, Averyhart VM, Leboy PS "Purification and characterization of two tRNA-(guanine)-methyltransferases from rat liver". Biochim. Biophys. Acta. 518 158–71.
- The CAS registry number for this enzyme class is .
Gene Ontology (GO) codes