Until January 1
, 2007 Sydlangeland municipality
was a municipality (Danish
) in the former Funen County
on the island of Langeland
in south-central Denmark
. The municipality covered an area of 121 km²
, and had a total population of 4,288 (2005). Its last mayor was Knud Gerther. The main town and the site of its municipal council was the town of Humble
Ferry service connects the former municipality on the south end of the island at the town of Bagenkop over the Baltic Sea to the city of Kiel, Germany.
The municipality was created in 1970 due to a kommunalreform ("Municipality Reform") that combined a number of existing parishes:
- Fodslette Parish
- Humble Parish
- Lindelse Parish
- Magleby Parish
- Tryggelev Parish
Sydlangeland municipality ceased to exist as the result of Kommunalreformen ("The Municipality Reform" of 2007). It was merged with existing Tranekær and Rudkøbing municipality to form the new Langeland municipality. This created a municipality with an area of 290 km² and a total population of 14,223 (2005). The new municipality belongs to Region Syddanmark ("South Denmark Region").
- Bird reserve at Gulstav Marsh at the far south end of the island. There are also cliffs at the seashore at Dovns Cliffs (Dovns Klint) and Gulstav Cliffs (Gulstav Klint).
- There are additional cliffs near the town of Risting, which offer a great view to the nature area off its shores. Stendyssen, an ancient stone monument is located at the highest elevation. Ristinge also has a long stretch of popular, white sand beach.
- King Humble's Grave (Kong Humbles Grav), a Long barrow, is one of Langeland's most well-known antiquities. It is encircled by its 77 stones, and has a single chambered tomb. While no one is certain who is buried there, legend has it that it was a very important person. The myth of King Humble is mentioned in the Middle Ages by Danish historian Saxo Grammaticus.
- The church in Humble is one of the biggest village churches in Denmark. The late [[Romanesque] building has granite foundations and brick walls. Both the original doors are still intact. The present windows are from the 19th century. Frescos inside the church were revealed underneath a layer of cement when the church was restored. The church bells are renowned for their beautiful sound, and one of them is the oldest on Langeland. It was made 1430, and has stamped on it the coat-of-arms of Eric of Pomerania. The other bell is the biggest on Langeland and was made in 1633.
- Lindelse Mølle
- Nature area near Tryggelev