, is a small, peaceful village in the north of Oxfordshire
on the edge of the Cotswolds
. It is one of several small villages (including Tadmarton
) on the B4035 road between Banbury
The village has a church (St Peter and St Paul), a pub (The Stag's Head), several cottages and houses, and a large area of woodland and fields. There is also a boarding school, Swalcliffe Park School, for boys with special educational needs. Just to the north of the village lie the site of an Iron Age hill fort (best viewed from the Shutford side), Roman villa at Swalcliffe Lea (site only), and line of the old Roman Road now a bridleway.
Swalcliffe Tithe Barn
At the west end of the village stands Swalcliffe Barn, an impressive 15th Century traditional Tithe Barn
. Built in 1401-1407 this is considered one of the best examples of a medieval
tithe barn in England and features an almost completely intact medieval timber half-cruck roof. The barn is open free of charge on Sundays from Easter to October and houses part of the Oxfordshire Museum's collection of traditional agricultural and trade vehicles and an exhibition of 2,500 years of Swalcliffe history.