Swadesh Roy (born 1961) in Bangladesh is a journalist and writer. He has written many books some of which include Muniar Chok, Chibuk Paharer Shada Murti, Mousumi Bou, and Meghnar Buke Lata. His most recent book is Ma Shukhtara Dhekten
He was born in the Khulna district in Bangladesh. He saw that he liked journalism, writing and politics and moved to Dhaka (the capital of Bangladesh). In college, he studied science and also at the same time got involved in student politics. He studied commerce but later took up political science and began writing columns and articles for newspapers and magazines.
His works are mostly centred on the politics of Bangladesh. He currently writes for The Daily Janakantha, and made three films between 1998 and 2001. He is currently working on another film. He has written three hundred poems and 22 published books
His novels are mostly published on 21st of February every year. His novels are mostly concerned with romance, human physiology and human struggle; people and nature are partners, and both can’t work without each other. Muniar Chock is one of his best novels about the destruction of nature in Indian sub-continent and far east Asia
Ganatantra Mukti Pak and Michil-er Mukh
One of his novels is Ganatantra Mukti Pak, a biographical novel about Nur Hossain who fought for democracy in Bangladesh. Nur Hossain sacrificed his life for Bangladesh's democracy. He is the symbol of democracy in Bangladesh. This novel was a best-seller in Bangladesh, and was also made into a film by Swadesh Roy.
Monoar Hossain was another person who wanted to get rid of autocracy. It was a risk to do any kind of report on him. Swadesh Roy risked his life to do a report on him, and it was published in the Bangladeshi newspapers and the BBC broadcast the report. The report was also made into a short film and was ranked best film at the International Short Film Festival.
- Ekhatorey bisha Bangabadhu -A historical news collection on Sheikh Mujibur Rahaman
- Ganatantra Mukti pak - a historical novel on Nur Hossain
- Ganoabhuthan '90 - a history of the democratic movement of Bangladesh.
- Bekhubda march - a history of non violent movement of Bangladesh.
- Samorik Ganatantra Bangladesh -a (marshal democracy in Bangladesh) an analytical write-up about military ruler and democracy
- Mousumi bou - a novel about a coastal poor woman.
- Moyfuler ma (mother of moyful) -a novel about flood and flood affected woman.
- Machim purer Chou Rasta (cross roads of machim pur)
- Muniar Chok (eye of a bird) -novel about environment.
- Shibshar shrot (tide of a river) - novel about coastal life of hundred years ago.
- Tinti kishor upanas(three novels for teenagers)
- Meghnar buke lata (a girl in a river) - collection of short stories
- Chimbuk paharer shada murti(a mysterious statue on the hill) - short stories collection for children
'Note these are not all the published works of Swadesh Roy
- www.dailyjanakantha.com *www.boimela.org/Booklist