Sveti Andrija (Rovinj)

Sveti Andrija (Rovinj)

Sveti Andrija (Croatian for Saint Andrew, Italian: Isola di Sant'Andrea) is an island in the Croatian part of the Adriatic Sea. It was also called Crveni otok (Croatian for red island) after the second world war. It is situated near Rovinj and connected with neighbouring island of Maškin with an embankment.

History

The island was probably inhabited in prehistory. In the 6th century, Benedictines built a monastery on the island. The Benedictines left the island in the 13th century and in the 15th century it was taken over by Franciscans who renovated the church and the monastery. In 1809, the island was conquered by France, and in 1892 a cement and lime factory was built on the island using the church tower as a chimney.

References

External links

Search another word or see Sveti Andrija (Rovinj)on Dictionary | Thesaurus |Spanish
Copyright © 2014 Dictionary.com, LLC. All rights reserved.
  • Please Login or Sign Up to use the Recent Searches feature
FAVORITES
RECENT

;