Proddatur is second largest town in Kadapa district known for gold and cotton business and a grade 1 municipal corporation in Kadapa district in Andhra Pradesh state, it is located 51km away from Kadapa town. Its famous for festival celebrations during Vijaya Dasami festival and considered second only to Mysore. This city is referred as "Second Bombay" because of the volumes of gold and cotton business activity. It is also famous for Shukoor Biryani, a special kind of Biryani, only available at Proddatur.
The origin of this towns name. One: It is related to the great Indian epic Ramayna. According to this.. When Rama is retuning to his homeland Ayodhya from Lanka after killing Ravana halt at the outskirts of this town. The halt place is the river bed of the Penna. It is evening time (in Telugu language this time is called as 'poddu'). After seeing the sunset Sita, wife of Rama said to him. Did you notice the sun is setting? It is early night. Search for some good place here. I have no patience for that doing.' After that this area is called as Podduturu or Proddatur.Lord Rama Chandra has installed Lord Shiva's Linga form of deity from the sand in the bank of Penna River.From that point onwards this particular place called as Rameswaram..Even today also we can see hand prints of Lord Rama on the Shiva Linga.This Temple also has Durga Mata's deity.
Proddatur has also Agastareswaralayam,Amma Vaari Sala and Lord Venakateswara Temple at Bollavaram.These three temples are very famous for their history as well for their prime deities..
To know about the greatness of Proddatur town we had introduced a website . We are standing 2nd place in India for gold biz and dasara festival.
Proddatur is located at . It has an average elevation of 155 metres
). Proddatur is on the bank of the river Penna
As of the 2001
, Proddatur had a population of 164,932. Males constitute 50% of the population and females 50%. Proddatur has an average literacy rate of 64%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 73%, and female literacy is 54%. In Proddatur, 12% of the population is under 6 years of age.
- PMF-QUARTERS,Venkat ram
- GowrammaKatta Street
- Kota Street
- Moulana Azad Street
- Vinayak Nagar
- Shivalayam Street
- Subbi Reddy Kottal
- Chowdeswary Nagar
- Gandhi Road
- T B Road (Travellers Bunglaw Road)
- Korrapadu Road
- Yerraguntla Road
- Ammavaari shala Road
- Vijayanagaram Street
- Mydukur Road
- Sri Ramulapet,
- Yerra Muni Reddy colony,
- Super Bazar Street,
- Reddi vari Street,
- holmospet Street,
- Balaji Nagar,
- Sundharachala Street
- Aacharla Colony (Dwaraka Nagar )
- Gadingi street
- Housing board
- Road -- Well connected to all the 3 major cities, Hyderabad , Chennai and Bangalore. APSRTC bus station is located in Mydukur Road.
- Train -- Near by Railway station is Yerraguntla 14 km away, which is on Mumbai - Chennai railway line.
- Dr. Kakarla. Bala krishna Reddy MBBS DA(ANAESTHETIST)
- Dr. N.Ranga Reddy (sailaja nursinghome)-- Located in SubbaReddy Nagar , Pediatrician
- Dr. Rajaram Mohan Reddy -- Ravi Nursing Home, opp. to State bank, Gandhi road.
- Dr. Uday Raghava Reddy -- Dentist -- Ravi Nursing Home
- Dr. Jaya Subhashini -- Homeopati -- Ravi Nursing Home
- Dr. Shilpa reddy -- Ravi Nursing Home
- Dr. Koduru Prabhakar Reddy,MD(Paediatrics) - Padma Nursing Home - Vedurla Bazar
- Government General Hospital -- Located on yerragunatla Road, 300 bed facility with Emergency Care
- Government Maternity Hospital -- Located in Sreeramula Pet
- Dr. Tyagaraja Reddy Hospital -- Located on Jammalamadugu Road
- Dr. Prasad Reddy Hospital -- Surgeon - Located in Gandhi Road
- Dr. NagaDastagiri Reddy -- Surgeon -- Located in HolmesPet Road
- Medinova Hospitals -- Located on Gandhi Road
- Dr. Ramalinga Reddy Hospital -- Located in HolmesPet Road , Pediatrician
- Dr. Lakshmi Narasaiah Hospital -- Located in HolmesPet Road, Surgeon
- Dr. Lakshmi Pratap Reddy -- Located on Gandhi Road, Gynacologist
- Dr. P.Sreekanth - Childrens specialist -- located on Gandhi Road
Higher educational institutions
- Government Polytechnic College
- Vaagdevi Engineering College
- S C N R Government Arts College
- S K S C Degree College
- Deepthi Residential Junior College
- Vaagdevi Degree College
- Rani Tirumala Devi Degree College
- Swati Degree College
- Osmania Degree College
- Sadhana Degree College
- Lepakshi Degree College
- D.A.W Degree College
- Bhavana Junior College
- Deepthi Junior College
Proddatur is an assembly constituency in Andhra Pradesh.
Temples in town
- Sivalayam Temple - Located in the centre of the town , Lord Shiva's temple.
- Kanyaka Parmeswari Aalayam (Ammavari Shala) - The belief is that Sankara sent down a small flow of water from the rounded plaits (Jatas) where he stored the holy Ganga, to this town of “Bhradhnapuri” which later was named Proddatur, meaning almost the same in Telugu. Bradhna is the Sanskrit form for Proddu in Telugu, which means Surya.
- Chennakesava Swami Temple - Ancient Lord ChennaKesava's temple, located near Old Market.
- Ayyappaswamy Temple - Beautiful Temple located on the bank of Penna river near to PMF-Quarters.
- Rameswaram Temple — One of the oldest Temples in Proddatur. There is a saying that the people who visit Kasi should visit Rameswaram in Proddatur, to complete their "Kasi journey".
- Sai Baba Temple - There are two Sai Baba temples in Proddatur: one on Rameswaram road, and another in Y.M.R Colony.
- Lord Venkateswara temple - It is located in Ballavaram, which is on the Jammalamadugu Road. The temple got its recognition after reconstructing the temple. For every Pongal, in this temple many cultural activities are conducted.
- Narasimha Swami Temple - Historical and Old temple located in Narasimhapuram village, 5 km from Proddatur. For every Sankranthi festival, Narasimha Jayanthi, bhajans, events are conducted at this temple. It got into notice after renovation in 2001 and this village is also famous for Silk sarees.
- Sivalayam Temple - Small temple, but old temple, located in outskirts of Narasimhapuram and Pedda Settipalli villages.
- Veera Brahmendra swamy temple- Located in Achari colony.
- Nookalola Gudi - In this temple Rajarajeswari devi and Lord Venkateswara are the deities. This temple was known as Nookalola (family name of the key person/devotee involved) gudi.