'70s soul/pop group Stylus, the only Australian
artists ever released by Motown Records
in the USA
. Stylus toured with George Benson, Average White Band
, Ike & Tina Turner
, and Australia's "Little River Band
Japan's Toshiba-EMI re-issued 3 Stylus CDs (For The Love Of Music, Best Kept Secret & Part Of It All) in 1998/99.
Four of the members had been playing in a band with Ian Mason called 'Masons Cure' for the last year or so (1974). When Ian left the band 'Stylus' was born (early 1975) with Sam McNally taking on the keyboards role and Jeff Joseph the manager.
The band was Peter Cupples vocals/ rhythm guitar, Peter Lee drums, Sam McNally keyboards, Ron Peers guitar/vocals and Ashley Henderson bass guitar/vocals.
This line-up recorded the first two albums 'Where In The World' and 'For The Love Of Music'. The band was constantly touring Australia and supporting overseas acts like Average White Band, George Benson and Tina Turner. Stylus was a regular on the ABC television show 'Countdown'.
For the third album 'Best Kept Secret' Trevor Courtney filled the drum position. Several drummers were used from this time till the fourth album 'Part Of It All' was released including Joe Tattersall's and Mark Meyer who played on 'Part Of It All'. Singer Peter Roberts joined the band from the middle of 1978.
'Best Kept Secret' was released in the USA by Motown on their Prodigal label. The album and singles received favourable reviews in Music Industry magazines such as Cashbox and Billboard.
'Part Of It All' was to be the second US release but due to a re-shuffle of key management in the record company this was shelved.
Where In The World (1975 )
For The Love Of Music (1976 )
The Best Kept Secret (1978 )
Part Of It All (1979 )
- http://members.fortunecity.com/ashleywh/moonlight/549/page23.html - TV Appearances
- http://members.fortunecity.com/ashleywh/moonlight/549/page3.html - Song/Album Listings
- http://members.fortunecity.com/ashleywh/moonlight/549/page4.html - Picture Gallery
- http://www.petercupples.com/bio/bio_stylusyears.htm - Peter Cupples Link
- http://www.empirerecords.com.au/cd.html - Still Alive CD
- http://www.poparchives.com.au/feature.php?id=1475 - Pop Archives
- http://www.hmv.co.jp/search/index.asp?target=ARTISTS&artist=stylus - Stylus CDs
- http://k1ono-web.hp.infoseek.co.jp/a_stylus.html - Stylus/Related Record Info
- http://www.sammcnally.com - Sam McNally Webpage